Saturday, March 28, 2009

Our Favorite Disney World Resorts


For those of you that did not get to see my guest post at http://blog.nickels-n-dimes.com/ well here it is for your viewing pleasure. I hope the information I provide is helpful to you. If you ever have any questions about Disney World feel free to email me at cgtrs@aol.com. I am happy to assist you in your Disney trip plans.


Hello everyone! My name is Tammy and I absolutely love Walt Disney World. With this guest blog I would like to share my family’s two favorite Disney resorts. I have just recently developed my own blog site so that I can share Disney Vacation Deals, money saving tips, and the experience I have gained from my many trips there.

My first visit, to the most wonderful place on earth, was our honeymoon in August of 1990. Since then, I have been there 14 times. I have learned that the best way to go is to stay on Disney property. Disney truly takes great care of their guest.

We have stayed at 3 of the Value resorts and 2 of the Moderate resorts. Our favorite value resort is Pop Century. This resort does not share bus transportation with any other resorts. The other value resorts do and this can lead to long lines to and from the parks. The 50’s building, B and C, are our favorite to stay in at Pop. You should ask to face Hourglass Lake. Here you are able to see the fireworks from Epcot IllumiNations, not to mention it’s very quiet facing the lake and walking path which can be nice after a long day at the parks. Pop Century is the only resort that has a frozen Coke machine. This is one of the highlights for my boys.

If you are looking for a more adult theme, I recommend Port Orleans: French Quarters (our favorite Moderate resort). Port Orleans gives you the feeling of Mardi Gras in New Orleans. It is situated on the bank of the Sassagoula River that offers a free boat ride to Downtown Disney or its sister hotel Port Orleans: Riverside. It is a wonderfully peaceful resort. My parents absolutely love it here as well. You have the opportunity to rent fishing poles, pedal boats, rowboats, bikes, or take a horse drawn carriage ride. The rooms are a bit bigger than at Pop Century but not drastically. The food court is comparable to the value resorts but at Port Orleans you also get the benefit of sit down restaurants.
All moderate resorts have hot tubs where the value resorts do not.
Port Orleans: French Quarter is one of Disney’s smallest resorts. You would not be disappointed with any building on these grounds.

I highly recommend not getting a room that faces the pools at any resort. Disney’s lifeguards go off duty, I believe, about 10 PM. Guest are allowed to stay in the pools and swim at their own risk. It can be very loud. It seems like the noise from the pools echo and when you are trying to get to the parks early the next morning you want your sleep.

Some helpful tips when staying at any Disney resort.

Due to airlines charging for those extra suitcases try cutting down on the number of outfits you bring by doing laundries while you are on vacation. I know the last thing you ladies want to do is laundry, but think of the savings. The laundry facilities are by the pool so while you are enjoying a swim throw your laundry in. Purchase one of those pop up, mesh, clothes hampers. This packs very nicely in your suitcase taking up no room at all and makes it convenient carrying the laundry down to be washed. Bring along some travel size detergent and dryer sheets and you are ready to go.

Disney offers refillable mugs at your resort. The mugs are around $12 each. Unless you plan on being at your hotel a lot I would not invest the money. They don’t hold that much once you put ice in them. Take along those Kool-aid Singles or Crystal Light singles to add to water. These can also be carried into the parks and added to the free cup of ice water you ask for.

We usually eat breakfast in the hotel room or on the bus headed to the parks. I bring Pop Tarts, Quaker Oatmeal Bars, and baggies filled with our favorite cereal, in our suitcases. Capri Suns also pack well to go along with breakfast. These also work well for snacks while in the park to hold you over until lunch or dinner.

Take along a fitted sheet for the bed. When packing the fitted sheet I put a dryer sheet in the suitcase with them so you have a fresh smell when you slip under the covers at night. This also keeps the flat sheets the resorts use from getting all knotted up underneath you when sleeping.

There is not a lot of room on the bathroom counter for shampoos, deodorants and other personal items. Purchase an inexpensive plastic hanging shoe holder and hang it on the bathroom door. This will hold all those items and keep them from clutter up the sink area.

We always take our pillows from home for a better nights sleep. You can purchase the bags that compress the pillows for easier travel. I got mine at WalMart and you simply roll the bag after you sealed it to push the air out. They can be found where you find luggage.

We have also packed at small cooler filled with peanut butter, crackers, chips, bread, jelly, fruit cups, cans of pop and any other non perishable item you can think of and send it on the airplane. We didn’t have any problems but I would call ahead and ask if this is OK for the particular airline you are flying on. When we get there we fill the cooler with ice. For all you Mountain Dew lovers, like my husband, Disney has a contract with Coke so you will not get Pepsi products in the World.

Remember to enjoy yourself and be a kid again!

No comments:

Post a Comment